Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A potential candidate...

A few weeks ago, a young man contacted me through this blog. He had suffered a 4 place Jefferson Fracture last summer, and he lives in the same state I do.

He suggested his neurosurgeon, the one whose care for this man started when he was brought into ER. The young man was put into a halo brace for several weeks, and thankfully, right now, several of his fracture sites have healed (are "union," as they say).

I'm so happy for him, that this fine doctor knew enough to place him into a halo right away and due to that wise decision, his fracture/C1 seems to be healing well.

I looked up this neurosurgeon (it would take me 5 or 6 hours to get to this hospital) and I really like his bio material. If I decide to go see him, I will post here more information about him.

This neurosurgeon wrote that his special interest is in how bisphosphonates affect union of bone after surgery. I might be a candidate he'd take interest in since I've had several years of oral bisphosphonates (Actonel); 18 months of IV infusion of pamidronate; six months of daily injections of Forteo, another bisphosphonate, all prescribed due to my osteopenia and in preparation for the craniocervical fusion I never had (back in NY in 2009).

I need to get my material together, my imaging and radiologists' reports and also a list of symptoms, after I first call his office to see if he would look through my material before making an appointment for me. I just am having a hard time getting this done. For a few weeks now, I've been especially weak and in pain. I do keep up the house with keeping things straight, doing dishes, making beds, doing laundry, sweeping, light vacuuming, dusting. That seems most days all I have strength for.

Most days, I am in bed for two hours in the afternoon, due to my head feeling heavy and me feeling unable to hold it up. Faithful, longtime readers of this blog are familiar with this same ol' song and dance. Sorry.

No comments: