Monday, April 14, 2008

Nurturing nature

On our new chat board, I post a new Scripture every day. So far, it's been edifying for me. Today's verse was:

The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. Isaiah 58:11 NIV

These words popped into my mind as I looked at my kitchen windowsill. Some time ago, I had taken a used egg carton and also a dishlike thing that some cookies came in, filled them with potting soil and pressed a single nasturtium seed, collected from my flowers last Fall, into the mix. I've been watering them every day for two weeks.

A few days ago, I dug one out with my finger and it looked hard, impenetrable, unlikely to sprout. I was about to toss them all out onto the bank behind the house, 'til three days ago, when I noticed the pale-yellow neck of a sprout bending up through the soil.

In only three days, that little tyke is about three inches tall. And another brother or sister is standing tall in the egg cup alongside it and I can see identical bent stalks pushing up the dark potting soil in all of the remaining cups.

And tonight the thought came to my mind that it was important to me to remember to keep them watered, not too much, not too little. I don't want to look at them and see leaves turning yellow. I don't want to transplant them out into the oak planter barrels too soon, exposing them to hot sun or cold nights prematurely. They are so fragile and will take nurturing and nourishing in order to bring them to the point of being strong, blossom-producing plants.

How alike this must be to the way our Lord feels about us. Like a well-watered garden, he will help us survive the sun-scorched earth.

No comments: